By IAN AUSTEN
The Canadian police have issued arrest warrants for seven people involved in an Indian land-claim dispute, accusing them of involvement in several violent episodes on Friday, including the hijacking of a United States Border Patrol vehicle.
Five of the people being sought were identified by the Ontario Provincial Police as residents of the Six Nations Reserve near
The police said Sunday that the three violent episodes on Friday all appeared to have happened within an hour's time, during the early afternoon. Earlier reports by the police had suggested that the other incidents, an attack on an elderly couple and an assault on a television crew, had been much earlier in the day than the hijacking.
The elderly man who was attacked was hospitalized for observation because he has a heart ailment, and one cameraman who was assaulted required stitches and his camera was stolen, the police said.
Constable Keith Robb of the provincial police said that, in the hijacking episode, protesters forcibly removed two American plainclothes border patrol officers and a Canadian provincial police officer from the American officers' unmarked sport utility vehicle. The hijackers, he said, then drove toward the Canadian police officer, who was pulled by colleagues from the vehicle's path but was lightly injured. He was taken to a hospital and later released.
The American investigators were unarmed because Canadian law prohibits them from carrying weapons in
Police officers from the reserve, who are native Canadians, are cooperating with the investigation, the constable added.
Michael Friel, a spokesman for United States Customs and Border Protection, said the two border patrol officers were based in